Navigation and useful materials
- Russia has established a new organization whose main purpose is to set up a campaign aimed at discrediting Ukraine’s President Zelenskyy in Western European countries. The plan was exposed by Chief Intelligence Directorate of Ukraine.
- On September 7, the website https://zestiftung.com/ went live. It is designed as a fake website of a non-existent foundation allegedly established by President Zelenskyy.
- Russia’s plan is to register the foundation on Europe’s largest trading platforms. The website will be promoted similarly to multi-level marketing, which would facilitate the distribution of this content in the European information space.
WHY IS THE WEBSITE FAKE?
- There is no information about the website on any of the official resources of President Zelenskyy or his Office, nor has it been mentioned in any of their statements.
- The website contains a phrase “Unser Führer.” German native speakers never refer to leaders of countries this way. It is a rather obvious part of the narrative about “Nazi” Ukraine, which Russia has been trying to push for the past six months.
- The videos on the website have nothing to do with charity but are rather marketing plans (which is what they are actually called) with every possible indicator of a financial pyramid scheme.
- The section “Media über uns” (“Media about us”) contains a list of non-clickable “news items” with stories which look definitely untrue and look hastily written as placeholders.
WHAT ARE THE CONSEQUENCES?
- If promoted widely, the website could be used to discredit the President of Ukraine and the entire idea of helping Ukraine.
- It would also play into Russian narratives of “futile” aid to Ukraine, of Ukraine “losing” Western aid, “Nazi” Ukraine, etc.
WHAT CAN YOU DO?
- Trust only verified official channels.
- Engage in critical thinking and check sources of any information you encounter.
- Remember that with time, Russian information operations are becoming harder to spot and subtler, which means that we have to be vigilant.
- Share reliable information about Ukraine found on official channels, including the Centre for Strategic Communication.
- Avoid sharing information if you are unsure about its veracity or origin.
OFFICIAL CHANNELS OF THE PRESIDENT OF UKRAINE AND HIS OFFICE:
- Official website: https://www.president.gov.ua
- Facebook, Office of the President: https://www.facebook.com/president.gov.ua
- Twitter, Office: https://twitter.com/APUkraine
- Telegram, Office: https://t.me/OP_UA
- Instagram, Office: https://www.instagram.com/op_ukraine
- YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/PresidentGovUa
- Facebook, Volodymyr Zelenskyy: https://www.facebook.com/zelenskiy.official
- Twitter, Volodymyr Zelenskyy: https://twitter.com/ZelenskyyUa
- Telegram, Volodymyr Zelenskyy: https://t.me/V_Zelenskiy_official
- Instagram, Zelenskyy: https://www.instagram.com/zelenskiy_official
Centre for Strategic Communication and Information Security